Friday, September 16, 2011

Miss Afton Goes to Preschool

Last week, Afton started preschool. She goes just two days a week, three hours each time. She was so excited. She loves her new backpack (pink princesses -- courtesy of a three-hour, frenzied shopping excursion by her mother two days before school started). Her teacher's name is Miss Jessica.


Given Afton's previous track record, I fully expected that she'd be introduced to this new social situation and have a panic attack, cling to me, avoid eye contact with anyone new, refuse to speak, and cry and cry and cry when we separated. However, she did absolutely none of that. At the open house, she was the kid who volunteered answers every time the teacher asked a question. When Tony took her on the first day, she cheerfully waved goodbye to me. When she walked into the school and left Tony behind, she was mildly confused and slightly worried. But otherwise fine.

Although Tony drops her off on his way to work, I get to pick her up. Our post-school conversations make me laugh at what in the world is going on in this classroom full of toddlers who are trying to get used to school for the very first time:

Me: How was school?
Afton: Good.
Me: What did you do?
Afton: We had snacks.
Me: What did you learn?
Afton: We got into a line. Our teacher gets nervous if we aren't in a line.
Me: What else did you do?
Afton: We ran around the classroom and our teacher got a little mad.
Me: Did you read stories?
Afton: Yeah. Miss Jenny wouldn't let me sit on the A. [The rug they use has the alphabet written around the edges. At the open house, Afton almost had a conniption when someone else half sat on the A.] Miss Jenny made me sit on the V. I don't like the V. I only like the A.
Me: V is a nice letter. It's on your Love pajamas.
Afton: No. I don't like V. A is in my name. I only like A.
Me: Did you go outside today?
Afton: No, we weren't good, so she wouldn't let us go outside.
Me: Did you learn any letters?
Afton: No.
Me: Did you learn any letters?
Afton: No.
Me: Did you learn any colors?
Afton: uh... red and blue and green and pink and yellow and orange.

And so it goes.


5 comments:

Debbie said...

Getting in a line is so essential to everything in life. I get to do bus duty and having kids randomly standing anywhere can drive me up a wall. Tell Afton she is learning very important skills that will serve her well for the rest of her life. Hopefully she will begin to like the other letters in the alphabet too.

Debbie said...

P.S. I see that she is wearing her favorite accessory! The necklace Elsa made for her.

gwen said...

It can't be true!! They grow up too fast! Hope miss Jennie calms down and Miss Afton enjoys her pre-school experience!

Carrie said...

Sounds pretty similar to Alex's preschool experience. At least she offers something. Mostly Alex just says "It's good" and "I got to hang out with Peter and Eric" (cousin and neighbor). I do hear that he is sitting still, so that's a positive :-)

garcias said...

What a big girl, and what a cute girl. I love her pig tails. I can't believe how fast time is going!