Sunday, January 17, 2010

Catch Up -- Thanksgiving 2009

Off and on in the couple months prior to Thanksgiving, I had been trying to teach Afton to point to her different body parts (eyes, nose, mouth, toes) or maybe even (gasp!) say the actual words. I had limited success. Afton was not interested in anything past pointing to her head, and speech is so, well, not part of A-baby's minimalist communication M.O.

However, she learned the word "pie" in about 30 seconds one night when I offered her a bite to stave off starvation (or so she made it seem) as I prepared her actual dinner. Every time I opened the refrigerator that night and for days after, Afton would run to it yelling "PIE!!!" and try to claw another bite or two out of it with her hands.
On Thanksgiving day, she ended up eating an entire piece of pumpkin pie for her dinner before we even noticed. Needless to say, she was happy.


We also got a brief visit from my parents who were flying out of Salt Lake for their Thanksgiving vacation. (They never tire of telling us how great it is to be empty nesters.) The Aftonator commandeered her grandfather for a while with a few stories. And yes, most days Afton prefers as little clothes as possible.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Should I make pie for your visit this week?

Uncle Jonah said...

I prefer no clothes as well.

garcias said...

The only problem I have found with no clothes, for now, is it is freezing outside. :) Second, who cares about body parts when there is pie. :)