The national parks have been a topic of discussion in our house for years now. About a year after we got married, we decided to become full-fledged adults and open an IRA. We picked a target retirement date type of fund, and initially Tony wanted the one that had us retiring in 2050-something -- in our 70s! Our subsequent exchange went something like this:
Me: Are you on crack!?! I'm not sitting at a desk at 75!
Tony: But if I don't work, what will I do?
Me: I'm retiring in my 60s, getting a Winebago, and hitting all the national parks with the grandkids.
Needless to say, Tony didn't think that being cooped up in the confined space of an RV with his unborn grandchildren was his idea of retirement--even if the national parks were involved.
Our recent national parks discussion has centered on a trip I wanted to take over Columbus Day weekend to a park a few hours south of us.
When we found out that we couldn't get Tony's firm's time share condo (meaning, a place to stay for a really low cost), we figured getting a hotel would be more than we wanted to spend and called the trip off. That is, called it off until a friend offered to loan us camping equipment.
When I called him to share the "good" news, I used all my powers of persuasion. "We could camp! It would inexpensive. We could be one with nature -- We could be part of America's Best Idea..." Tony's only response: "America's best idea was the remote control."
So, help me out here. It's time for a poll. Camping with kids isn't the end of the world, right? It could even be, gasp, fun, correct? Just let Tony know. :)


10 comments:
Yes, You're young--Go Camping while you are able to!! We decided to camp in Yellowstone one year and the boys wanted to sleep under the stars--good idea! Next morning there was a bear VERY CLOSE to where they had slept! Tell Tony to loosen up and go camping!
I am fortunate to have married a man who agrees with me on the whole camping thing--never, ever, ever do it. Sorry, Heather.
Okay, I will say that both Trent and I like to camp. However, we tried twice this summer with Alex (in a tent) and both were a disaster. So much so that my nature loving husband has sworn off camping until our youngest is at least 3! Sorry, but we even tried 2 weeks ago and it cemented idea that tent camping with a 14-month-old isn't much fun. But, maybe Afton will do better. Good luck!
Give it up for Jake and Katie Ross. You guys are definately getting a Christmas card from me this year. Also, much thanks to CHJ.
As for Aunt Gwen, I'm not sure telling us about waking up in close proximity to a bear is going to do anything to boost Heather's chances.
Camping with kids is fun...in a HOTEL!! If you're going to do it, do it young like my mom said, because once the kids get older then YOU have to use the bathroom all night and you don't have crying babies, just crying bladders. I say experience the national parks during the day and the comfy hotel bed at night!
Come on! Where are the people who I know have camped with kids and lived to tell the tale??? Chris and Audra? my other cousin Kim? Jenny? My very own MOTHER!?! Where's the funny story about thinking there was a bear only to realize it was 8-month old me snoring? sigh...
Actually you were only 3.5 months old. And I did think it was a bear. The wind picked up just as you began to snore. I grabbed Reed and declared that there was a bear out there. That is until he convinced me it was only the wind and you. I love to camp and to hike and be outdoors. We did it with kids and loved it. Lots of work but still loads of fun. We also camped a lot because it was fairly inexpensive and we were poor. You all had a great time as I recall. But I am a fair weather camper so temperature is a big factor here. Have a great time if you do decide to go. Make sure there are no bears in the area you camp. You do remember the young boy that was dragged out of his tent and eaten a few years ago. : )
I like camping...but as for retiring and vacationing...I wouldn't use a Winnebago. I would rather fly.
Oh,Heather, good luck!
We are in the pro camping with kids section. It's a blast! My kids are pretty good sleepers anyway but in a tent in the great outdoors they sleep like little angels. Think of the memories. Think of how much fun Afton will have getting dirty. Think of the non-bear night sounds. Pure Bliss.
Post a Comment