Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Verdict

After a bit of discussion, Tony has agreed that we will go to the park, and we will likely camp, but we will not go next weekend and we will not take the A-baby. If this actually happens, this compromise of sorts will likely turn out to be better than the original proposal. As much as I have been craving a weekend where we did ANYTHING besides mow the lawn, run errands, clean the house, do grocery shopping (in other words, what we do almost every weekend), I have been craving even more just a wee break from the wee one. I love Afton to death (she now says "belee" when I feed her broccoli and when I remind her to use a "soft touch" with the mirror in my room she just kisses her image), but I have had one 24-hour break from her in the past 17 months, so a little time away might be... healthy?

And, then again, our one family hike started out with Afton like this....


And after 10 minutes, we were walking like this....

On the way down, we were doing this. ...

very, very slowly... At one point Tony told Afton it's a good thing we weren't pioneers crossing the plains -- Brother Brigham would have left her aside because she was holding everything up... But she loved throwing rocks in the stream by the waterfall :). We'll nab Tony on a camping trip one of these days.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Sorry,

Audra and I totally missed your last post. Blame it on the most insane month at our house ever. Audra wanted you to know that not only have we been camping with our kids a lot, but she went camping by herself with both Gibson and Elsa and survived. Ok, her sisters were camping too, but Audra handled the whole tent with two kids by herself. Has Afton ever slept with you recently? That is sort of how camping would be. Our kids LOVE the outdoors and camping. They also love our backpacks though so that is not too much of a problem when we hike. Sorry to hear that you canceled your trip. It is definitely worth doing it once to see how it goes.

Debbie said...

It sounds like a good compromise. Sweet Baby Afton will someday love the whole camping experience. She is definitely showing her independence in the last photo. Hmm...who does that remind me of?? Maybe the whole female gender of the Hendricks clan!

Sylvia said...

I would rather sit in the dentist's chair and have my teeth pulled one by one without novocaine than go camping and sleep in the same tent with my children.

Not to lean too far one way or the other.

(Just backin' you up, Ton.)

Carrie said...

Compromise is the foundation of every good relationship. I love my darling child, but, as I said earlier, we've done the camping thing with a small child and it doesn't work for us at this time. We'll try again when he is older.