Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Oregon Trail

First off, let me say that I love my in-laws. I really lucked out marrying into such a great family. That said, our post-Christmas trip to Eastern Oregon almost killed me, and I am not talking figuratively here, it almost literally killed me.

On Christmas night, a snowstorm blanketed much of Utah. At our house, we received about 8-inches of snow, painting a Norman Rockwell'ian' scene which invoked images of starting a fire, sipping hot-chocolate, and spending the next day bundled up inside playing with the Christmas presents you had just received. For us, it meant loading up the car and embarking on an 11-hr journey over roads like these:

I'll spare you the full recap, actually I won't, I had to suffer through this so you all will too. The first 2-1/2 hrs were spent driving to Tremonton. In Tremonton we learned that I-84, which had been closed at the Utah/Idaho border, had just reopened though it was sheer ice and you had to chain-up and have 4-wheel drive. In other words, you needed a vehicle like this:

We, however, had this:


I made an executive decision and skipped the ice-capades at I-84 and took I-15 up through Malad. Ahhh, Malad, Idaho, my father's birthplace. A place I dreaded visiting in the summer, let alone in the winter. Anyway, we continued up I-15 and made it to Pocatello and then took I-86 over to connect back up with I-84 near Burley. I-86 was terrible and we passed numerous cars, trucks, boats, planes, birds, cattle, cross-country skiers, tanks, snow-plows etc. that had slid off the road. Luckily we survived and got back on to I-84 and made it to Boise in a slick 8-hrs. I think you can seriously fly halfway around the world in that amount of time.
- After Boise, we had pretty good roads until about Ontario, Oregon. At that point, things got bad again. Many things were running through my head as I passed such geographical locals as: Farewell Bend, Dead-Man's Pass, You're Never Coming Back Alive, If You Don't Have 4-Wheel Drive, You're a Moron. After passing Baker, we were coming up on the last obstacle of our marathon: the dreaded Ladd Canyon. However, the roads in the canyon were really good and we pulled into our destination in a little over 11-hours. 11-hours, pretty much the the number of hours it took to take the Bar. Which as an aside, while studying for and taking the Bar I never got a headache. In fact, in my lifetime I had never experienced a headache before. I had gone through college, law school, an LDS mission, the bar, engagement, 3+ years of marriage, getting a cat, Afton's birth, post-Afton's birth without suffering a headache. However, the 11+ hours of driving produced a giant knot at the base of my head and a strange sensation/pain behind my right eye. I thought my ears had popped or something, but alas, it was a headache. Oh well.
- One of the ladies from Steel Magnolias once said, "that which does not kill us, only makes us stronger." Or at least I think it was from Steel Magnolias?? Anyway, I believe that which does not kill us makes us buy a 4-wheel drive SUV with studded snow tires. I know this goes against Heather's environmentalist ways, but I'll trade a few bamboo trees for never getting a headached again.
- (*All this said, I want it to be perfectly clear that I love my wife and my in-laws. I would also like to send a shout out to the Idaho, Utah, and Oregon road crews, the nice gas station attendant in Mountain Home, Idaho who was nice to me after she could tell I was about to start walking back home, and the fine people who invented Alleve.)

7 comments:

garrynkim said...

This is why we go to Oregon every other year for Christmas. We have been stranded in La Grande before and once it took us 4 hours to go from Ladd Canyon to Ontario. I can totally relate to your pain!

Chris said...

Audra thinks it is nice sometimes that I "have not one sentimental bone in my body" (her actual words) and therefore feel no obligations to risk my family members lives going home to see my brother. I am impressed that Heather convinced you to go home even though you saw Jordan two days proir to your near fatal trip. Is this comment too thick with sarcasm?

Chris said...

Sorry more comments.... Last year we went home for Christmas. We hitched a ride in a large pickup for part of the trip. I ended up driving a small car filled with my family from Burley to La Grande. We decided it was safer to stay home in the winter when we saw 25+ accidents in a 30 minute window around the Boise area and barely missed killing emergency personnel responding to some of those accidents. Our trip was only 18 hours. I still say don't get the SUV though. Just rent one:)

Sylvia said...

My question: how do you know quotes from Steel Magnolias?

J. E. Campbell said...

You guys were fast! On the same day, going the opposite way, we took 12 1/2 hours to get to SLC.

Also, how DO you know Steel Magnolias quotes?

Tony said...

Come on Dill, I Know Steel Magnolias because you watched in like 4,323 times when we were kids. Though, I may have to give up my man-card for quoting Steel Magnolias.

garcias said...

Tony, It is Eileen, Heather's friend. We drove that the day before and it took us 11 hrs, but we didn't up through pocotello. It took us over an hour to get through Ladd to La Grande. I almost couldn't finish driving I had such a cramp in my arm.