Friday, September 19, 2008

Our Little Gourmand

At Afton's four-month check-up, our pediatrician recommended that we start trying a little rice cereal off and on to see how she does with it. We had our first grand adventure into the world of "solids" -- or should we say, diluted rice cereal? Here's how she did.

First, I will note that she gets her skeptical looks from her father. I don't think she knew what to do with something in her mouth that wasn't quite suck-able. And, unfortunately I didn't plan ahead very well, so I was trying to get the cereal, mix it it up, and get it to sweet baby Afton while she rapidly moved from fussy, to frantic, to sc-ream-ing mad. In my increasingly flustered state I forgot the the most important part of feeding a kid (aside from the food) -- the bib.

The mess would have been contained to her chin and chest had she not intercepted my spoon mid-advance. That swift move left the food all over her hand and very shortly all over anything her hand touched. We paused, got cleaned up, and prepped for round two.

In round two, we remembered the bib.

Unfortunately, Afton became much more interested in eating the bib than in eating the rice cereal.

I loved it. Can't wait for next time.

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

How fun!!! You are such a good mom to clean her up. I usually just leave food all over Aud's face and let it dry and then it rubs off on sutffed animals she eats throughout the day.

Also, I've always wondered how to spell 'gourmand'.

And I don't think I've ever see that Bjorn bib look so incredibly gigantic!!!

Katie said...

I'll be going through that soon...and I remember going through it with Ellie. It always left me scratching my head as to how on earth you train a child to eat as well as drink. One trick I tried with El that seemed to work was as soon as I got some food in her mouth, I popped her pacifier in there, too. Sucking on the pacifier helped her swallow. I love your blog, by the way. Afton is growing up!

J. E. Campbell said...

Hope you both appreciate your own parents, though I'm sure were very tidy eaters. Right.