
I don't like to brag, but I have to admit that I have somewhat of a sixth sense when it comes to choosing the right grocery store check-out line, gas station line, movie theater line, really any kind of line which will have the person directly in front of me paying for his/her purchase with a check. Considering there are probably about 28 people left in the modern world who are using checks for purchases such as, say a banana, I consider it quite a gift that I am able to seek them out.

Take this morning for an example, I left my hearing at the Bankruptcy Court and decided I needed to contribute to the Saudi GNP by buying gas. So I headed over to Costco and found lines somewhat similar to the above photo. My brow began to sweat (not just because the immortal Camry has given up the Air Conditioning ghost) as I tried to choose which line would move fastest. I ultimately chose the far right lane. As I patiently waited, the kindly woman in the massive Cadillac filled up and then approached the poor Costco gas station attendant with a check. A check. Has anyone since the inception of the automated gas pump paid with a check? What ensued would have been comical had I not been beginning to experience heat stroke symptoms. Unreal.

On Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m. after my run, I went to the grocery store to buy a few things and only the self check-out line was open, sure enough, the elderly woman in front of me was paying for her $3.57 purchase with a check. I suppose that one is partly my fault, since the only people in grocery stores at that early hour are typically the more experienced generation who tend to write more checks.

Finally, I have to go to the bank today, so I fully expect to find myself behind this guy.
6 comments:
I am a check writer! I know, I know....I must move into the 21st century someday.
Deb
EVERYONE in Wyoming still writes checks!! However, the lines aren't that long...
Do you get a cut from Visa or whoever it is that makes those commercials wherein the check-writers hold up the whole conveyor line of people at check-out?
How about those people who not only write checks, but then balance their checkbooks at the register. Or people who are paying with a combo of food stamps, cash, and credit cards?
Love your blog! Thanks for the invite. i'll check it often. Cute baby by the way
At least the person with the huge check looks like a fun guy! You've got to ask him what he did to win it.
check writers need to understand that they're just waving a big flag stating, "I don't have the money now, but I will in a couple of days."
Post a Comment